The 2020 admission bibliography consists of a few selections from the following 6 books on cultural theory. Candidates are required to read these selections before the interview in order to become acquainted with some of the basic concepts proper to the field of cultural studies and have an informed discussion with the committee about their interest in our MA programme. Those interested in our programme can request the bibliography at any time by sending an e-mail to the BCSC secretary at email@example.com. Physical copies of the books can also be perused at the British Cultural Studies Centre.
1. Gabardi, Wayne. Negotiating Postmodernism. Minneapolis/London: University of Minnesota Press, 2001 (pp. 340, 144-147)
2. Bauman, Zygmunt. Liquid Modernity. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2001. (pp.168-172)
3. Mulhern, Francis. Culture/Metaculture. London: Routledge, 2000 (pp. 155-168)
4. Burke, Peter. Varieties of Cultural History. Cambridge & Oxford: Polity Press, 2003. (pp. 1-22, 162-182, 183-212)
5. Appadurai, Arjun. Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization. Mineapolis: University of Minesota Press, (©1996), 2000. (pp.66-85)
6. Leerssen, Joep. “Imagology: History and method.” Imagology: The Cultural Construction and Literary Representation of National Characters. Ed. Manfred Beller and Joep Leerssen. Amsterdam & New York: Rodopi. 2007. (pp. 17-32)