Associate Professor of English
BA, University of Bucharest, 1998
MA, University of Bucharest, 1999
PhD, University of Bucharest, 2011
Office hours: by appointment
BIO & PUBLICATIONS
Daria Protopopescu has been teaching English Language and Linguistics, History of the English language and vocabulary and English Terminology and Business Communication at the University of Bucharest since 1999. Her research interests include the areas of linguistics, English syntax, history of the language and terminology. She was the recipient of a doctoral research scholarship at the University of Tilburg, The Netherlands (2007). She was a member of numerous research projects, the latest of which being Enhancing quality in innovative higher education about consumer awareness (ConsumeAware) – in partnership with the University of Economics in Katowice, Poland) as well as direct of the research project Cecuri de Inovare – Descrierea sintaxei limbii engleze folosind metalimbajul GRAALAN.
Books and textbooks
- Elements of English Terminology – Theories and Methods, Bucharest: E.U.B., 2014.
- A Syntactic Approach to Adverbs in English and Romanian – Temporal and Aspectual Adverbs, Bucharest: E.U.B., 2014.
- New Perspectives on English Grammar(co-author), Iasi: Institutul European, 2014.
- English for Environmental Studies (co-author), Bucuresti: Redacţia Publicaţiilor pentru Străinătate, 2013.
- Business English – Theory and Practice (editor), Bucharest: E.U.B., 2013.
- The Syntax of Manner Adverbs in English and Romanian. Bucharest: E.U.B., 2012.
Journal articles and book chapters
- English and Romanian Pandemic-Related Terms in British and American Studies, editor Hortensia Pârlog, Editura Universităţii de Vest, Timişoara, 28/2022, pp. 327-340, ISSN: 1224-3086 DOI: 10.35923/BAS.28.33
- Translating Sentence Adverbs in C.S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia – The Magician’s Nephew, in Linguaculture, vol.13, nr.1, 2022, pp.131-145, Online ISSN: 2285-9403 | Print ISSN: 2067-9696, DOI: 10.4773/lincu-2022-1-0241
- “Buoyantly, nippily, testily” – Remarks on translating manner adverbs into Romanian, in Open Linguistics, 8 (2)/2022, pp. 390-400, ISSN: 2300-9969, DOI 10.1515/opli-2022-0202
- Translating P.G. Wodehouse’s Vocabulary în New Insights into Linguistic Communicative Behaviour (eds.) Mihaela Tănase-Dogaru, Alina Tigău, Ioana Stoicescu, and Mihaela Zamfirescu, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 416-432, ISBN (10): 1-5275-8930-7 ISBN (13): 978-1-5275-8930-8
- 200 Years of Romanian Hamlet Retranslation: Ghosts of the Source Text? (co-author: Nadina Vişan), in THEPES (Thematic volume) XI (1)/2022, pp. 123-140, E-ISSN: 1805-085
- Glossary of terms (co-author) for Consumer Protection Standards in Europe, ed. Slawomir Smyczek, Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Placet, 2019.
- ‘Word-formation patterns and terminological variation in air traffic and aviation terms – a contrastive analysis of English and Romanian’, in Foreign Language in Traffic Engineering Profession and Science, ed. Gordana Dimkovic-Telebakovic, Belgrade: Izd. Univerzitet u Beogradu – Saobraćajni fakultet, 2013, pp. 33-49.
- ‘The Morphologization of Adverbs – An Instance of Grammaticalization’, in SCL, LXII, 1, 2011, pg. 57-71.
- ‘Romanian Manner Adverbs – Syntactic Position’s, in SCL, LXIII, 2, 2012, pp. 203-215.
- ‘Theories of Terminology – Past and Present’, in Studii şi cercetări de onomastică şi lexicologie (SCOL), anul VI, Nr. 1-2 / 2013, pp. 195-201.
- ‘Derivational versus phrasal adverbials of manner’, in RJES / Romanian Journal of English Studies 1584-3734, vol. 11/2014, pp. 29-35.
- ‘Multitudes of meaning, compensation and translation loss in P.G. Wodehouse’s Right Ho, Jeeves’, in Embracing Multitudes of Meaning, Newcastle upon Tyne, 2015, pp. 270-285.
- ‘The Origin and Evolution of English Sentence Adverbs: An Instance of Secondary Grammaticalization’, 13th Conference on British and American Studies: Language Identity and Diversity in a Globalized World, Newcastle upon Tyne, 2017, pp. 24-38.