Senior Lecturer in English
B.A. in Philology, University of Bucharest, 1981
Ph.D. in Hermeneutics, Penn State University, 1997
Ph.D. in Philology, University of Bucharest, 2015
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Office hours: by appointment
Religious Values and Institutions in British Culture
BIO & PUBLICATIONS
Ioana Gogeanu has been teaching in BA and MA programmes (English and interdisciplinary studies) at the English Department and the Centre of Medieval Studies, History Department, University of Bucharest. Her research focuses on the complex relations among literature, varieties of hermeneutics, philosophy [phenomenology], and religion. Over the years she lectured on medieval and Renaissance English literature, Shakespeare drama, philological hermeneutics, hermeneutic phenomenology (Heidegger, Derrida, Ricoeur), hermeneutic philosophy (Gadamer), phenomenology of myth, and the hermeneutics of religious experience. She held scholarships at Oxford (1991), The Pennsylvania State University (Fulbright Fellowship 1993-1996), New Europe College (2008) and was the recipient of the 1997 Graham Award from The Pennsylvania State University. She is a member of the American Philosophical Association (APA) and of the Romanian Society of Phenomenology (SRF).
Journal articles and book chapters
- ”The Corona Vitae in Shakespeare’s Richard II. Devotional and Mystical Interferences” in Shakespeare 400 in Roumania. Papers Commemorating the 400th Anniversary of Shakespeare‘s Death. Eds. M.Nicolaescu, O.A.Zaharia, A.Nae, Bucharest, EUB, 2017, 63-89
- “Between Hearkening and Beholding. A Phenomenological Analysis of the Visibility of the Holy Church as God’s Mystical Body in Walter Hilton’s Ladder of Perfection,” Matérialité et immatérialité dans l’Église au Moyen Âge, Bucharest, EUB, 2012, 39-52
- “The Authority of God’s Voice in Walter Hilton’s The Scale of Perfection”, Representations de l’autorité au Moyen Age, Bucharest, EUB, 2011, 137-171
- “A Phenomenological Interpretation of the Holy Cross as Middle Region in Some Late Antiquity and Early Medieval Texts,” Espaces et mondes au Moyen Âge, Bucharest, EUB, 2009, 266-278
- “The Tradition of the ‘Death of Metaphysics’ and the Understanding of Literature”(II), Synthesis, Bulletin du comite national roumain de littérature comparée et de l’ Institut d’histoire et de théorie littéraire “G. Călinescu,” nr. xxx, Academie roumaine, Bucarest: EAR, 2005, 17-38
- “The Preverbality of the Sacred in P. Ricoeur,” Caietele Institutului Catolic, nr. 2(5)/2002-1(6)/2003, Bucuresti: EARCB, 2003,185-224.
- “The Tradition of the ‘Death of Metaphysics’ and the Undersanding of Literature (I)” Synthesis, Synthesis, Bulletin du Comité national roumain de littérature comparée et de l’ Institut d’histoire et de theorie litteraire “G. Calinescu,” xxix/2002, issn 0256-7245. Academie roumaine, Bucarest: EAR, 2002, 75-100.
- “On Derrida: Differance and Indecidability” Synthesis, Bulletin du comite national roumain de literrature comparée et de l’ Institut d’histoire et de theorie litteraire “G.Călinescu,” no.xxvi/1999, issn 0256-7245, Academie roumaine, Bucarest: EAR, 1999, 9-24
- “Reflections on Negativity: Gertrude in Hamlet” Analele Universitatii Bucuresti, Limbi si Literaturi Straine,1998,anul xlvii,51-73